Stop Varicose Veins in Their Tracks
those pesky inflamed veins that appear blue, red or skin-coloured, are veins that have swollen up and popped up above the skin’s surface.
Varicose veins (or spider veins) are typically caused by weak or damaged valves in the veins, as weakened valves can’t prevent blood from flowing backward as it moves from the legs back to the heart. When the blood can’t be pumped to the heart properly, it begins to pool up and enlarge the veins.
Commonly found in various parts of the leg, these enlarged veins can often cause pain, discomfort, and cramping – and that’s not fun for anyone.
But here’s the good news: some varicose veins can actually be prevented!
How to Prevent Varicose Veins
While some varicose veins are genetic and cannot be prevented, there are ways to reduce your susceptibility to these painful veins just by incorporating a few preventative measures into your daily routine.
Here are a few tips to help you prevent instances of varicose veins, as reported on womenshealth.gov:
- This is a tip for universal skin health, but always wear sunscreen! Limiting exposure to UV rays can reduce the risk of facial spider veins.
- Keep your circulation strong with regular exercise like walking or running. These cardio routines can strengthen your legs, circulation and vein strength.
- Keep your weight under control to avoid excess pressure on your legs.
- Mix up your sitting position; avoid sitting cross-legged for too long to avoid injury.
- Keep your legs elevated as much as possible while resting.
- Whether you’re sitting or standing, don’t do it for too long. If standing is part of your job, be sure to shift your weight from leg to leg every few minutes. If you sit all day, take the time to stand up, stretch, move around or go for a walk every half-hour.
- Don’t spend too much time in sky-high heels. Lower heels actually tone your calf muscles more effectively while maintaining proper blood flow.
- Introduce more fiber into your diet and limit your salt intake.
If you already suffer from varicose veins, there are plenty of treatment options available at Barry Lycka MD & Associates. Call 780.425.1212 or book a consultation online to learn more about how to treat painful varicose veins.