Sun Safety in the Winter: Say No to Tanning Beds
While the sun may not be shining as brightly on these shorter fall days, it’s still important to practice sun safety through the colder months to prevent harmful UV damage to the skin.
Because many people seem to feel more confident with tanned skin, artificial tanning beds tend to see a spike in popularity over the winter once natural suntans start to fade. Despite the number of studies that show how harmful these beds are to the skin, some people still believe a good tan is worth the risk.
Tanning Beds: The Ugly Truth
Did you know that the number of skin cancer cases caused by tanning is even higher than the number of lung cancer cases caused by smoking? That’s a pretty staggering truth bomb from the Skin Cancer Foundation.
Worse, yet, is the fact that exposing your skin to tanning beds before the age of 35 increases your risk of developing melanoma by 75%. This statistic alone should be enough to deter people from using tanning beds; however, some tan seekers are willing to do whatever it takes to stay sun-kissed through the winter.
Tanning Bed Alternatives
At Barry Lycka MD & Associates, we want our amazing clients to practice sun safety all year long. That’s why we’ve rounded up a handy list of sun-safe alternatives to artificial tanning beds.
- Jane Iredale Tantasia Self Tanner
- This tinted formula provides instant bronzing to create a sun-kissed glow without exposing your skin to harmful UV rays.
- This instant bronzer contains ingredients that produce a gradual, natural-looking tan over multiple applications.
- Ideal for sensitive skin, Tantasia is safe for the face and body. It is also developed with citrus notes that replace the traditional after-smell of other self-tanners.
- Spray Tans
- If you’re wanting to look tanned for a special occasion, skip the tanning bed and get a spray tan instead! They typically last a week or so and are perfectly safe for most skin types.
To learn more about how you can practice sun safety in the winter, book a consultation online or call 780.425.1212 today!