What is a Varicose Veins?
Veins are blood vessels that return blood from the other parts of the body back to the heart. Varicose veins are veins that become abnormally thick, enlarged and are full of twists. These veins can form anywhere in the body, for the most in part in the legs and thighs.
How are these veins caused?
Veins have tiny valves which aid in returning blood to your heart. When these valves stop working properly varicose veins form. Causes of varicose veins can include:
- Your Age – As we age our veins become weaker, resulting in allowing blood that should be moving towards your heart to flow backward.
- Inherited – Some patients inherit varicose veins
- Pregnancy – Women who are pregnant have an increased blood volume and pressure which can aggravate these veins
- Obesity – Being overweight causes added pressure on your veins
- Prolonged standing or sitting – Your Blood doesn’t flow as well if you’re in the same position for long periods it time.
How are they treated?
The type of treatment Dr. Lycka will prescribe will largely depend on your particular case. Sclerotherapy is one of the most common medical treatment for varicose veins. It involves an injection of a sclerosing solution directly into the vein. The solution irritates the lining of the vessel, causing it to fade. Eventually, the treated blood vessels become barely noticeable or invisible.
Here’s a Video from “Insider Science” posted on Facebook Feb 2017
Before and After
Watch Dr. Lycka On Your Cosmetic Doctor TV!
Be sure to make a consultation appointment in our office, so we can address your concerns.